A Child’s Ten Commandments to Parents

I received this at MOPs one week and just now found it again.  It was written by Dr. Kevin Leman. Reading this just makes me want to do everything to be a better Mom  and reminds me of things I should and shouldn’t do.  It also make me a little sad because before I know it, they are going to be big and going off to college.

1. My hands are small; please don’t expect perfection whenever I make a bed, draw a picture, or throw a ball. My legs are short; please slow down so that I can keep up with you.

2. My eyes have not seen the world as yours have; please let me explore safely: don’t restrict me unnecessarily.

3. Housework will always be there. I’m only little such a short time—please take time to explain things to me about this wonderful world, and do so willingly.

4. My feelings are tender; please be sensitive to my needs; don’t nag me all day long. (You wouldn’t want to be nagged for your inquisitiveness.) Treat me as you would like to be treated.

5. I am a special gift from God; please treasure me as God intended you to do, holding me accountable for my actions, giving me guidelines to live by, and disciplining me in a loving manner.

6. I need your encouragement, but not your praise, to grow. Please go easy on the criticism; remember you can criticize the things I do without criticizing me.

7. Please give me the freedom to make decisions concerning myself. Permit me to fail, so that I can learn from my mistakes. Then someday I’ll be prepared to make the kind of decisions life requires of me.

8. Please don’t do things over for me. Somehow that makes me feel that my efforts didn’t quite measure up to your expectations. I know it’s hard, but please don’t try to compare me with my brother or my sister.

9. Please don’t be afraid to leave for a weekend together.  Kids need vacations from parents, just as parents need vacations from kids. Besides, it’s a great way to show us kids that your marriage is very special.

10. Please take me to Sunday school and church regularly, setting a good example for me to follow. I enjoy learning more about God.

I know that when the kids are driving me crazy, I can sit down and read this and feel so much better! Where was this yesterday!?!?! 🙂

*Feel free to print off and put on your fridge for a daily reminder of how to treat your kiddos!

**A Child’s Ten Commandments to Parents, by Dr. Kevin Leman

DSC_0208web

37 thoughts on “A Child’s Ten Commandments to Parents

1. Courtney says:

This is so beautiful and a fantastic reminder of what’s important in how we parent! Thank you for this! I will be printing it out and reminding myself to read it when the kids drive me bananas :O)

2. Mandy says:

Thanks for sharing this! I am bawling my eyes out as I read this. I hope I have been the Mom my kids deserve and am grateful for the opportunity to try anew each day.

3. Amber roberts says:

This is the most beautiful thing i have read about parenting.Makes me want to be a better mom every minute that goes by. Being a parent is a special gift and we need to treasure our children by God’s love. Thank you for sharing!

4. Jaimi Erickson says:

Great items to remember. I definitely try to pass along similar sentiments and tips to my readers. Very important to remember that our children are individuals within our family units. Thank you!

5. Deborah Nemec says:

Children are to be cherished, cared for in a safe and not judged place.They. are little for too short a time. If we keep them in the proper atmosphere, they will thrive!!! But be positive….we all have stressful times.
    Try to get a break, even an hour out, if you must. Be careful who you trust to care for them. Children are our most precious possessions. I love every one of them…unconditionally. They are God’s gift to us!!!

6. Alison says:

Thank you for posting this, I really needed it. My oldest son is 3 going on 20 and at times it can be very challenging. I need to remind myself that he is a little boy and cannot understand all of what is going on all of the time.

7. Kathy says:

I think grandparents need these too……..made me teary eyed thinking of my own kids who have now brought 5 awesome grandchildren into our lives.

8. Janet Kilgore says:

Number three was the best. I always went out to play base ball and did the supper dishes as they were winding down. They grow up so fast. but still talk about our games.

9. Judy Ekstrom says:

I tried to repin this on Pinterest, but it wouldn’t let me, due to it had 502 words instead of 500 words. Are there any 2 words that can be left out ( maybe in the authors credits) so this can be posted on Pinterest?

10. MotherofTwo says:

I love this. I need this just about every day. I will probably read it daily to remind myself that they are just babies. Love my toddler & baby but they are crazy